Thursday, March 11, 2010

This might be why I like academia...

On Tuesday I heard a presentation with Douglas Rushkoff and then I had lunch with him in a small group at my college. There are some fundamental areas about corporations and banks where I disagree with Rushkoff. But I found him to be a very unassuming and thoughtful guy. His thesis that life has become corporate and large corporations have ruined the fabric of life has traction with many people during the recession. His solution to work and produce value in your community (locally) has some true benefit, however, I think some of the conclusions are overly simplistic.

Tuesday evening I watched the movie "Helvetica" with my night class at another event and then had a discussion about printing with some Society of Design members. My work with KM, interactive design, and usability is somewhat tangential to the field of design, but my early days as a doc designer and technical communicator made me fascinated by this movie and subsequent discussion.

After coming home, I realized that I was tired. Not physically, but intellectually. Which is a great feeling. I do not typically feel this way after teaching, certainly not after mudane tasks like grading, and rarely while consulting. This is one of those days where the concepts, thoughts, and interesting dialogue overflows your capacity to comprehend (or at least contemplate and categorize) it all. Very satisfying.

No comments: